MEM23758 - Parsonage Farm, Luxborough (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Luxborough. The farmhouse is separate to the rest of the site, across Perley Lane at SS 9745 3799, with the remainder of the buildings on the eastern side of the road, sited at SS 9748 3798, SS 9748 3799, SS 9748 3801 and SS 9749 3800. The southernmost building in this group, at SS 9747 3799, is coloured pink The farm buildings on the northern side of the farmyard have gradually been demolished and replaced by a larger building constructed after the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed in the early 20th Century. The site is labelled with the parcel references 24 (the farmhouse), 25 (enclosure to the north of the farmhouse), 26 (farm buildings), 27 (pink building and enclosure to south of farm buildings) and 30 (wooded area to east of farm buildings), the apportionment details for which are described below: 24: House and Garden; 25: Orchard; 26: Barton and Buildings; 27 (with 28): House Garden and Smiths Shop (see MSO10365); 30: Orchard. The site was owned by James Whitefield and occupied by John Joyce. [1-4] The site was viewed from a distance in February 1997 as part of the Exmoor Farmsteads survey. The house was noted to be pebble dashed and 19th Century in appearance, with the farm buildings separate to the east. 
- <1> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 24-27.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 231.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9747 3799 (140m by 91m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 231
Record last edited
Dec 19 2016 9:25AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.