MEM23707 - Burrowhayes Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A farmstead is shown on Luccombe Tithe Map at SS 8979 4606. This includes three buildings, at SS 8980 4607, SS 8979 4605 and SS 8980 4605. They are all described under land parcel 313 as "house and Barton" of "Burrowhouse", owned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland and occupied by Mary Stoate; there are two small enclosures around the buildings labelled 315 and 315 and these are described as "Garden" under the same ownership.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the buildings in a similar plan to that shown on the Tithe Map. The farmstead is labelled as "Burrowhayes".  By the time the 2nd Edition map had been surveyed, a further building had been added to the site at SS 8982 4602 and a small square structure built at SS 8977 4605. There appears to have been some alterations or extensions to the existing buildings.  The buildings do not appear to have been much altered since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed. However, a large building has been added to the south of the site (at SS 8980 4601) and a further small, square structure added at SS 8982 4605.  The farmstead was subject to survey in 1996. At this time, the group was noted to include a farmhouse (MSO10578), barn, privy, several stables, wash house, ash house, engine house/feed store, store, tack room, shop and gas store. 
- <1> SSO292 Map: Collard Cox, W.. 1841. Luccombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 313, 314 and 315.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8400 Report: Richardson, I., R.E.W. and C.H.. 1996. Vernacular Building Survey: Burrowhayes.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8980 4604 (74m by 84m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Mar 4 2019 3:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.