MEM23701 - Redcross Farmstead (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for King's Brompton at SS 9425 3051. It comprises a group of buildings organised around a yard with several buildings scattered around its environs, one of which (at SS 9415 3054) may still be extant. The group is situated within a small group of enclosures, labelled 1043. These are described within the accompanying apportionment as "Red Cross, House Folds Gardens Paddocks etc", owned by the Earl of Carnarvon and occupied by John Follett.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, several of the buildings within the group appear to have been demolished. The site was then labelled "Redcross Farm" and a group of farm buildings had been constructed more formally around a central yard, with a farmhouse at the southeastern end at SS 9428 3049 (this has an Ordnance Survey bench mark depicted on its northeastern elevation). It is not clear whether any original fabric from the earlier farm buildings survive within this group, although it appears that the original buildings extended further to the south and east. A well is marked just to the north of the group at SS 9429 3051. Also beyond the main yard area, six small outbuildings are depicted. There appears to have been little alteration to the group since this date, with the buildings around the yard having the same plan form as shown on the 1st Edition map and at least four of the outbuildings also appearing to still be extant. However, some larger more modern buildings appear to have been added to the north of the site at SS 9427 3057. [2-4] The farmstead was visited as part of a survey of Exmoor's farmsteads in April 1997. The group was described as a very nice model 19th Century farm. The house was noted to be Victorian in character, "a very neat and decent example with hood moulds". The yard was described to the west as long shaped, between two parallel and offset ranges of buildings of varying types and heights. Across the road to the north was noted to be a cart shed on braced oak posts. The surrounding field pattern was noted to be interesting.  The farmstead was visited in advance of proposed works to two buildings under ESA, sited next to the farmhouse and incorporating stables and cattle house and calf pens and lambing pens. While they share a roof, they have clearly been constructed at different times. The remaining buildings around the yard include a threshing barn, machinery and cart shed, shelter sheds, stable and closet. 
- <1> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch. Land parcel 1043.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 450.
- <6> SEM8380 Report: Coleman, I.. 2004. Redcross Farm, Brompton Regis, Dulverton, Somerset: Works to traditional farm buildings, outline scope of works.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9424 3052 (230m by 159m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (1): 450
Record last edited
Nov 7 2016 1:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.