MEM23669 - Crewes Cottages (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Kings Brompton (now Brompton Regis) shows a building within a small enclosed plot at c. SS 9363 2672. The land parcel is labelled 1685, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "Cottage Garden Orchard etc", owned by the Earl of Carnarvon and occupied by James Tout. The surrounding parcels are occupied separately but under the same ownership.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the site had been much developed. A building occupies the same general location as that described above and may be the same building, although this is unclear. It is labelled Crewes Cottages, and is situated within a much larger set of enclosures. Two pumps are labelled close to the northwest of the building. The site at this time included a block of kennels to the southwest (MEM23670).  The site had again been expanded by the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, now including a further block of kennels (MEM23671), a pheasantry (MEM23672) and a nursery (MEM23673).  Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the pheasantry and nursery appear to have been removed and a further semidetached property has been constructed at SS 9365 2668. 
- <1> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch. Land parcel 1685.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9360 2673 (132m by 103m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: Post-medieval kennels southwest of Crewes Cottages (Building) (MEM23671)
- Parent of: Post-medieval kennels southwest of Crewes Cottages (Monument) (MEM23670)
- Parent of: Post-medieval nursery south of Crewes Cottages (Building) (MEM23673)
- Parent of: Post-medieval pheasantry south of Crewes Cottages (Building) (MEM23672)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Aug 2 2016 11:21AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.