MEM23667 - Weir House (Building)

Summary

The homestead is on historic mapping.

Please read the .

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The Tithe Map for Dulverton shows a large building sited at SS 9341 2669, labelled Weir. It has two associated outbuildings, at SS 9343 2670 and SS 9343 2669. Together, these are labelled as 1829 and the accompanying Apportionment describes these as "Weir Ground Homestead", owned by the Earl of Carnarvon and occupied by Robert Heard. A plot of land to the rear of the building at SS 9343 2669 is labelled 1830 and this is described as an orchard under the same ownership. [1] By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey was produced, the main house had been extended to the north and further outbuilding ranges had also been constructed around the site, including in the area of the orchard. One building, an L shaped structure at SS 9343 2671, appears to have replaced the structure at SS 9343 2670. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map but since this was published, the L shaped structure at SS 9343 2671 has been reduced in size and is now the subdivided building known as The Coach House. Weir House and the building shown on the Tithe Map at SS 9343 2669 still appear to be extant, as does the buildings shown on the 1st Edition map at SS 9345 2670 (which are now labelled as the The Game Larger Cottage). Other buildings to the south of these, including a range at SS93432668 and a further building at SS 9345 2667, have been demolished. [2-4] The site was visited in April 1997 as part of a survey of Exmoor's farmsteads. Weir House was described as Victorian, with a timber gate and gateway from Pixton. An adjacent farm building (presumably that at SS 9343 2669) was thought to be late 19th Century in date, with mid 20th Century casing of the front but with the back wall being older to about 2.5 metres high. It included blocked openings. Various ad hoc accumulation was noted around the site, with one other building converted into two flats. [5]

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: 1838. Dulverton Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 1829.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
  • <5> Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 459.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SS 9344 2669 (82m by 78m) (Historic mapping)
Map sheet SS92NW
Civil Parish DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Other Statuses/References

  • Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 459

Record last edited

Jan 14 2019 2:10PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.