MEM23591 - 19th Century Hill Cottage northeast of Couple Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Two buildings and associated enclosures are shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map at SS 9543 3877 and marked Hill Cottage. A well is also indicated at the site. A path leads to the house from the west, joining the roadway north of Couple Cross.  One building is labelled 'ruin' on the 2016 Mastermap and the enclosure is indicated.  No buildings are indicated in this position on Cutcombe Tithe Map, suggesting it was a later 19th century cottage and outbuilding. [3,4] Derelict building with two irregular depressions to the east and west were noted on aerial photographs. [5-7]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <3> SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Shirley Blaylock, 20 June 2016.
- <5> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9538D.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3296 (April 1947).
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/71-177 95/8750 (September 1971).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 95426 38789 (90m by 67m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Apr 24 2018 3:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.