MEM23589 - Hinam Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Hinam Farm is depicted and labelled on the Dulverton Tithe Map. The main farmstead consists of land parcel 683 (described as "Hinam Homestead") and 682 ("Garden"). It was owned by Honorable Newton Fellowes and occupied by George Tarr. At this stage, it comprosed of a farmhouse sited at SS88552914, with a courtyard of farm buildings to the northeast at c. SS 8857 2915 and two further buildings to the south, at SS 885 42912 and SS 8856 2911.  The layout of the farmstead appears little changed by the time the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was drawn. A pump is labelled at c. SS 8855 2912 on this and the 1st Edition map. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the main house appears to have been demolished and rebuilt, as according to modern MasterMap data it appears to be on a different orientation to previous editions available to the HER. It does, however, appear that most of the remaining buildings have survived, although it seems that those to the south of the main house have been heavily reduced (or possibly demolished and rebuilt).  The farmstead was visited in April 1997 as part of a survey of Exmoor farmsteads. The surveyor noted that the house had been subject to late 20th Century alterations and predominantly appears to be of 20th Century work (such as the fenestration). It was, however, noted that there was a huge front lateral stack that appeared to be the work of a 19th Century architect, suggesting earlier origins. The associated farmyard was recorded to the northeast of the house and was advised to consist of late 19th Century buildings with brick dressings. 
- <1> SSO187 Map: 1838. Dulverton Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 683 (house), 682 (garden).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 451.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8854 2912 (106m by 94m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 451
Record last edited
Jul 26 2016 12:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.