MEM23549 - Post-medieval building at The Grove (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A rectangular building is depicted within Plot 410 on the Lynton Tithe Map. Plot 410 is recorded as 'Leymouth cliff wood and lime kiln' within the accompanying Tithe Apportionment (although the lime kiln is recorded separately as MDE1028).  A larger building is depicted within this location on the First and Second Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps and on the Ordnance Survey MasterMap. It is not possible to determine from the cartographic evidence alone whether this building has replaced, or is an extension to, the building depicted on the earlier Tithe Map. [2-4]
- <1>XY SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. [Mapped feature: #42855 ]
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6947 4911 (16m by 26m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 3:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.