MEM23498 - Parracombe Primary School (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The Voluntary School was extant by 1870 and was accessioned to the Government Grant list in 1875.  The school is depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [2,3] The siting of the primary school away from the village centre is probably a reflection of the fact that it was built to serve a large parish and was more conveniently placed here rather than close to the valley bottom. The pointed arch windows at the Primary School has a forged iron frame and decorative glazing pattern. Set on a prominent corner, the original part of the Village School is probably mid 19th Century, largely rendered, with a large pointed arch window in the northern gable and double wrought iron entrance gates. The Local Plan has defined it as “an important feature / building to be protected.”  The school caught fire on 20 September 2011. Approximately three quarters of the school was destroyed, including a classroom, staff room and kitchen area but the oldest part of the school was saved by firefighters.  The school officially reopened in May 2014 and resumed teaching in September 2014. 
- <1> SEM7966 Monograph: Sellman, R.R.. 1967. Devon Village Schools in the Nineteenth Century. David and Charles Limited. 53-4.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6948 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Parracombe: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 7,9,15,16.
- <5> SEM8299 Website: BBC News. 2011. 'Heartbreaking' fire at Parracombe Primary School tackled.
- <6> SEM8300 Website: BBC News. 2014. Parracombe Primary School reopens after fire.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6709 4487 (14m by 26m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2019 12:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.