MEM23494 - 19th Century kitchen garden at Heddon Hall (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The early 19th Century saw the building of the Rectory (now Heddon Hall), secluded with its walled garden, fishponds and avenues of trees...The kitchen garden walls approximately 10 metres east of Heddon Hall. The walls are early 19th century in date and constructed of unrendered stone rubble with slate capping. The walls enclose the garden on 4 sides, with shallow buttresses at intervals. The front (south) wall is lower and pierced below the capping with a series of elongated rectangular openings along its length. There is a semi-circular arched entrance in left (west) wall with wrought iron gate and cambered arched entrance in south-east corner.  Heddon Hall has formal and picturesque gardens, rock garden, parkland and lakes, covering an area of 14 hectares.  The kitchen walls were visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. The walls received a BAR score of 4A.  Set in landscaped grounds, Heddon Hall is the former rectory with a three-bay Regency stuccoed front and central full-height bow to the principal rooms. It was built c.1820-30... Adjoining some 20 metres to the east is the walled kitchen garden of similar date to the main house, and built on a rectangular plan of stone rubble with slate coping and buttressed. The south wall is lower and pierced with a series of rectangular openings, and entry is through a semi-circular arch in the west wall with wrought iron gate, and there is a camber-arched entrance in the south-east corner leading to stone outbuildings.  The garden walls are depicted on the Parracombe Tithe Map and on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [5-7]
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Parracombe (9 April 1987) 70.
- <2> SDE60460 Unpublished document: Devon Gardens Trust. 1995. Heddon Hall / Recording Sheet.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4> SEM6948 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Parracombe: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 7, 8, 12, 13.
- <5> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6730 4506 (38m by 31m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1544/3/121
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31413
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37646
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54831
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/109
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/109/1
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/109/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21284
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21587
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 3:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.