MEM23398 - Fair View, Churchtown, Parracombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the site as a clear plot, with the Lynton to Barnstaple Railway line directly to the east.  The building is featured in the aerial photographs of Parracombe taken by the Royal Air Force in 1946-8.  The building is now labelled "Fair View" on the Ordnance Survey MasterMap and is in domestic use.  West of St. Petroc’s, Fairview, though much altered, is the former Parracombe station on the Lynton to Barnstaple line. It has roughcast walls and a slate roof and probably dates from c.1910.  A site visit by the Historic Buildings Officer has been undertaken as part of the Parracombe Conservation Area Appraisal. He confirmed the building was not a railway station as stated by . 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <3> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM6948 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Parracombe: Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. N Pratt, 12 April 2016.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6740 4496 (10m by 11m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2019 12:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.