MEM23270 - Higher Blackland Farm, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Withypool. Two of the buildings depicted (including the farmhouse at SS 8348 3682 and a linear range at SS 8346 3681) still appear to be extant. A further building attached to the south of the farmhouse is depicted at c. SS 8348 3681 By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, a semicircular structure (probably a horse engine house, suggesting this building was a barn at this point) had been attached to the centre of the western elevation of the linear range and a further range had been added to the rear of the farmhouse/attached southern building at c. SS 8349 3681. This was joined by a further new building constructed at SS 8349 3679. This arrangement is repeated on the 2nd Edition map and both of the latter also depict a pump between the farmhouse and the possible barn. Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the building to the south of the farmhouse has been demolished and the farm extended to the east, with the construction of several larger scale modern agricultural buildings. [1-5] The farmstead was viewed from a distance in January 1997. The house was thought to have been altered recently but perhaps contain earlier remnants. It was adjacent to a yard of open spaced late 19th Century buildings on the end of the house, with a range of two buildings converted. The larger 20th Century sheds were noted to the east. The accompanying fields were thought to be a latish rationalisation. 
- <1> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 210.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8348 3681 (65m by 64m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 210
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.