MEM23267 - King's Farm, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Withypool as a single farmhouse with an associated building to the southwest at c. SS 8495 3543. The farmhouse may or may not have been replaced by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was drawn (it is not clear whether the original position of the farmhouse is a georeferencing error on the copy of the Tithe Map held or if it was demolished and moved slightly to its present position). The associated building is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition maps but has since been removed, as have two small outbuildings to the north of the existing farmhouse that first appear on the 1st Edition map. Both of the latter maps depict a well in the centre of the site. The farmhouse has been extended and altered since this time and the site has since been extended to the west. [1-4] The farmstead was seen from a distance in February 1997. It was no longer in use as a farm at this time, with activities moved a little distance from the site. 
- <1> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 206.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8496 3544 (64m by 61m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (Unknown): 206
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.