MEM23265 - Knighton Farm, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Withypool. This includes a long linear range on the northern side of the yard, situated at SS 8303 3548, with a smaller building opposite at SS 8305 3546. These are both apparently still extant but somewhat altered in plan. In addition, two further smaller structures are shown at SS 8305 3550 and SS 8303 3545. The former had been removed by the time the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed but the latter was still shown at this point and has since either been demolished and rebuilt on a smaller scale or much reduced in size. Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the site has been extended to the north. [1-4] The farmstead was viewed from a distance in January 1997. The house was said to have been ancient and interesting but much altered in the 20th Century. The enclosures around the steading were thought to look ancient. 
- <1> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 205.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8305 3546 (78m by 116m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 205
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.