MEM23264 - Brightworthy Farm, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Brightworthy is shown on the Tithe Map for Withypool as a scattered group of four probable farm buildings surrounded by an area of small enclosures with an apparently domestic building sited at c. SS 8304 3582. It is possible that the group may have originated under different ownerships as a small hamlet.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, all four of the farm buildings had been removed and the possible farmhouse had been incorporated into a large L shaped range. A further farm building had been constructed facing the southern elevation of the main range and a new farmhouse built away from the new farmyard at SS 8302 3580. This arrangement is repeated on the 2nd Edition map and still appears to be extant. [2-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was said to be mid 19th Century in date and symmetrical, with a yard of rubble buildings dating to the 19th Century separate to one side. A "pretty little barn" was noted with a building opposite and was thought to possibly reveal vestiges of an earlier house. The long building ranges had been repaired to accommodate horses. A photograph taken during the visit shows a mounting block situated on the southern side of the yard. 
- <1> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 204.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8303 3581 (153m by 234m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 204
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.