MEM23263 - Newland Farm, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Withypool Tithe Map. It consists of a t shaped main building (still apparently mostly extant at SS 8366 3553, although with the loss of some parts to the north and northwest) and an L shaped building at c. SS 8369 3552. These were again depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, with the addition of two small outbuildings to the northeast at SS 8370 3555 and SS 8372 3554 and two further smaller square structures at c. SS 8367 3551. A well is also labelled just to the northeast of the main building. Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the L shaped building and the two small square buildings have been removed. [1-4] The farm was seen from a distance in January 1997. The house was noted to be big but subject to some alterations. It was thought to have an older core, some of which may survive. A separate group of minor rubble farm buildings were noted to the front of the house. 
- <1> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 203.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8368 3553 (94m by 76m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 203
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.