MEM23262 - Waterhouse Farm, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Withypool in the form of a long linear range centred at c. SS 8393 3537, which apparently contained the farmhouse (coloured pink, with the remaining buildings coloured black). The range was extended to the south slightly at its western end, where it abutted the road (which originally turned at this point and ran southwards). A further building was situated at c. SS 8395 3536. These buildings appear to be those shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map in a similar arrangement but this is not clear (due to the copy of the georectified Tithe Map viewed). At this point, a circular structure (likely a horse engine house) had been attached to the western side of the southern extension of the main range and a new farmhouse constructed at SS 8394 3535. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. Since this was published, the building to the east (at c. SS 8395 3536) appears to have been demolished and rebuilt in a more square arrangement and a large agricultural building has been constructed to the north of the original buildings. [1-4] The farmstead was viewed from a distance in January 1997 but no comments about the farm buildings were made. 
- <1> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 202.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8393 3535 (72m by 59m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 202
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.