MEM23261 - Shircombe Farm, Hawkridge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The Tithe Map for Hawkridge shows a single building coloured grey at approximately SS 8462 3083 and a further structure to the east, at c. SS 8466 3082. It is not clear whether this group has been incorporated into the more recent farmstead but it appears more likely that they were knocked down to make way for the newer buildings (see MSO11738).  The buildings shown on the Tithe Map appear to have been removed by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. The farm buildings at SS 8464 3085, SS 8463 3085, SS 8466 3084 (which was originally much larger than it is now) and SS84643083 and the pond at SS 8461 3083 are shown on this map. An Ordnance Survey bench mark is depicted on the western elevation of the small building at SS 8463 3085. [2,4] By the time the 2nd Edition map was drawn, the buildings extant at SS 8461 3084 and SS 8463 3083 had also been erected. [3,4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was thought to date to the 19th Century, with a large conservatory added recently to the front elevation. It was said to be situated end on to a long yard. A mid 19th Century barn was also seen, with a rubble and slate roof and later buttresses, as well as other minor buildings such as piggeries, a plain cart shed and a late 19th Century small gabled rubble building at the west end of the yard. 
- <1> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 201.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8463 3084 (70m by 42m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 201
Record last edited
Apr 27 2021 4:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.