MEM23258 - Blindwell Farm, Twitchen (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as a clear area on the Tithe Map for Twitchen.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows Blindwell as a large L shaped structure (still extant) at SS 8022 3175, with a small outbuilding to the south and adjacent to the road at SS 8022 3172. A small area west of the farmhouse is shown as wooded. [2,4] By the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, much of the wooded area had been cleared, leaving only a small area to the north of the farm. The buildings had been extended to the west, with another generally L shaped range attached to the northwestern corner of the original block (at SS 8020 3175) having various extensions and forming a yard to the west of the original buildings. These also appear to be largely still extant. [2,4] Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the site has had various more modern buildings constructed within the farmyard area and much larger agricultural buildings to the north of the site.  The farmstead was seen from a distance in January 1997. The house was described as 19th Century, with a small yard of late 19th Century rubble buildings separate alongside it. The various 20th Century sheds were also noted. 
- <1> SEM7661 Map: 1841. Molland Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 198.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8023 3175 (83m by 67m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 198
Record last edited
Oct 18 2021 4:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.