MEM23254 - Eastern Ball Farm, Twitchen (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Twitchen shows a farmstead in this location in land parcel 24, comprising a building sited at SS 7909 3195, orientated east to west, with a small structure to the south at c. SS 7910 3192. The accompanying Apportionment names the site "Higher Twitchen Ball", leased to Michael ?Hader by Lord Poltimore and occupied by John Buckingham. It is described as a house and garden.  The farmstead is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps with an indentical layout but having been extended since the Tithe Map was surveyed. It was named "East Twitchen Ball" at this time. The farm buildings consisted of two parallel ranges, with a new range added to the south of the original one at SS 7909 3193 to form a farmyard with a small building enclosing the eastern side at SS 7910 3193. These buildings have since been subsumed and are in the centre of a more modern farm complex with a farmhouse to the south, apparently constructed some time after 1946. It does appear that some of the structures, such as the range to the south at SS 7909 3193 have been demolished to make way for these later buildings. [2-6] The farmstead was viewed from a distance. The house and associated buildings were thought to date to the 20th Century. 
- <1> SEM7993 Map: 1841. Twitchen Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 24.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <6> SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 192.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7909 3194 (31m by 34m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 192
Record last edited
Oct 4 2021 3:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.