MEM23253 - Litton Farm (previously Crooked Post), Exmoor (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is labelled "Crooked Post" on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and the site layout shows little change between them. It is depicted as a group of buildings arranged around a square yard, with the farmhouse forming the central part of the northern range. Buildings are arranged around the northern, eastern and western sides. Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the building framing the southwest corner of the yard has been removed and the site is now known as "Litton". [1-3] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was said to be 19th Century and fronted a large, wide yard with a wall opposite. The yard was thought to be cobbled under the grass. Rubble ranges were noted to extend to either side of the house, with the barn returning to form the west side and looking 18th Century in date. It had lower sheds on the end. A freestanding long, low 19th Century building was viewed on the east side. A further collapsing building was seen to the back of the house. The site had been extended by larger scale 20th Century farm buildings and a bungalow. The enclosures in the area were said to be late, with beech hedging. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 191.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8040 3372 (62m by 63m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 191
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 11:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.