MEM23249 - Sandyway Farm, Exmoor (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps in a similar layout, with a farmhouse sited at SS 7944 3339 and a group of farm buildings arranged around a farmyard, including a linear range orientated northwest to southeast at SS 7943 3341, a small square building at SS 7942 3339 and a smaller rectangular building at SS 7941 3341. These buildings all still appear to be extant, with further modern agricultural buildings arranged at the northern end of the site and a bungalow to the southwest. [1-3] The farm was visited in January 1997. The house was described as dating to the first half of the 19th Century, with an irregular yard behind it, tapering to end opposite the house. It comprised 19th Century rubble farm buildings, now mostly much altered but "pleasant and practical" in good use. A 1960 shed was positioned to the rear of these. To the south was an interwar bungalow and a linhay was positioned to the northwest. Beech hedging was noted in the area. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 187.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7944 3340 (74m by 64m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 187
Record last edited
Oct 4 2021 3:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.