MEM23248 - Barkham Farm, Exmoor (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map arranged around a yard, with an L shaped range forming the southwestern corner and a further range (including the farmhouse) occupying the yard's northern side. The farmstead's plan appears to have been little altered since this date. [1-3] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. It was thought that the house was of an ancient date but had been altered recently. A large two storied building opposite the main house had been converted and a connecting range down the hill was said to be newly built as holiday accommodation on the "general lines of an old barn". 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 186.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7847 3370 (47m by 39m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 186
Record last edited
Oct 4 2021 3:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.