MEM23247 - Longstone Wells (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as a clear area within a field on the North Molton Tithe Map.  The farmstead is first shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, with a house in the centre of a range of farm buildings forming the northern side of a farmyard. The yard's east and west sides are also framed by buildings and in the southeastern corner is marked a well. The southern side is open. This arrangement of buildings still appears to mostly be extant. [2-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was rendered and thought to be 19th Century in date, facing across a narrow garden onto a little yard. The site was entered through a very narrow opening between buildings on the west side and included a "fine" cob barn and a building thought to be 17th Century in date. There was a further open fronted part range and a late 19th Century stable. The farm comprised 14 acres of land at that time.  A heritage statement in support of a planning application at the site noted that the farmstead was built between 1848 and 1888 but has been subject to various alterations since this time. It was noted that the farmstead was in poor condition at this time. 
- <1> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 185.
- <6> SEM8735 Report: Close-Smith, A.G.. 2017. Heritage statement: A brief analysis of the development of Longstone Wells Farm.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7644 3320 (48m by 39m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 185
Record last edited
Oct 29 2019 4:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.