MEM23240 - South Heasley (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for North Molton. At this stage, two buildings were shown at c. SS 7349 3246 and SS 7351 3246, which still appear to be extant. A further building had been introduced at SS 7351 3244 and a smaller one at SS 7348 3244 by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. A few additions have been made to the site since the 2nd Edition map was published, including the farmhouse at SS 7350 3244 (it is not clear which building originally performed this function). [1-4] The farm was seen from the roadside in January 1997 and described as a "very nice, small, low-key establishment". The house was thought to be Edwardian and backs onto a small squared cobbled yard with a couple of earlier (18th or 19th Century) rubble buildings with tin roofs. A small "ancient-looking" building towards the road was noted to be covered in ivy. Photographs taken of the site show this to be the smaller building at SS 7348 3244, with the farmhouse behind covered in render with brick chimneys. Opposite the entranceway, the building apparently shown on the Tithe Map at SS 7351 3246 is a two storey barn. 
- <1> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 177.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7350 3245 (61m by 53m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 177
Record last edited
Jan 12 2015 3:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.