MEM23238 - Higher North Radworthy (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for North Molton parish, for which the accompanying Apportionment lists the whole site as being in the ownership of Lord Poltimore and occupied by John Thorne. At this time, the site was split in two, with the eastern side being named "Hingdons" and the western end "Home Tenement". Most of the original structures on the site appear to have been removed and replaced over time, with the modern farmhouse appearing to have replaced a building shown on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps at c. SS 7527 3424, but two buildings at SS 7525 3423 and SS 7531 3420 may survive whole (or in part) from at least the time the Tithe Map was surveyed. [1-4] The farm was seen from a distance in January 1997. It was thought that the farmstead was mainly 20th Century but with a couple of small rubble buildings. 
- <1> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment. Parcels 526-9, 536-9.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 175.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7527 3421 (191m by 112m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 175
Record last edited
May 25 2018 11:09AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.