MEM23220 - Venford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The West Anstey Tithe Map shows the site as two small buildings with a small enclosure to the south. It is labelled Venford, with the farmstead within land parcel 643. The Apportionment describes this as "Houses Yard and Garden".  The site is similarly laid out but with the buildings subject to modest extension on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. By this time, a further small outbuilding had been constructed to the south. [2,3] The site is similarly laid out today. A further site labelled Venford Farm has been constructed to the farmstead's northeast (MEM23221), which may or may not represent a shift in agricultural practice away from the original farmstead.  The site was not visited as part of the Exmoor Farmsteads survey. 
- <1> SEM8108 Map: Bad-, H and Bad-, R.L.. 1840. West Anstey Tithe Map and Apportionment. Parcel 643.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8639 2923 (57m by 39m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WEST ANSTEY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Feb 19 2019 11:54AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.