MEM23168 - Six Acre Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth depicts the farmstead as a group of buildings around a central farmyard at SS 7001 4826. The southeastern end of the yard was open and the enclosing buildings, including the farmhouse to the northeast, still appear to be extant, although subject to alteration and extension. A further two buildings, situated at SS 6996 4828 and SS 7005 4822, appear to have been demolished by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, with new buildings constructed in their place by publication of the 2nd Edition map. Some further additions were also made to the farmstead around this time, including the ranges situated at SS 7000 4828 and SS 7004 4827. Since the 2nd Edition map, a further large agricultural building has been added to the rear of the range at SS 7000 4828. [1-4] The site was visited in January 1997. The house was described as a late 19th Century building, constructed from rubble with a slate roof and rebuilt to obscure its earlier form and relationship to the yard. A big barn, thought to predate 1840 was said to be sited onto the lane with a separate round house behind it. A further range of pre 1840 stables were noted to the southwest of the house and a late 19th Century range of buildings to the northwest of it, enclosing the yard.  Six Acre farm was purchased in 1841 by Charles Bailey, a London based land agent, as part of a desire to create a country estate of his own. 
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 133.
- <6> SEM6806 Monograph: Gray, T.. 1996. Devon documents. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 1st Edition. Travis, F.J. "An enclosure dispute at Lynton in 1854". 192.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7001 4825 (113m by 84m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 133
Record last edited
Apr 25 2017 9:59AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.