MEM23166 - Kibsworthy Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth shows the present site of Kibsworthy Farm spread across two land parcels, 270 and 273. These are labelled as Glebe land for the Archdeacon of Barnstaple on the map and parcel 270 contains a large building that is labelled as an office. The accompanying Apportionment lists the two plots as 'Little Meadow' (270) and 'Middle plot part of' (273), belonging to the Reverend Thomas Roe (Rectorial Glebe) and occupied by William Burnell.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map still shows the original building in isolation but labels it Kibsworthy Barn. This is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. [2,3] Aerial photographs taken of the site in 1946-8 show the site had by this time been the subject of expansion, with additional buildings constructed to the north and south of the original barn. This includes a farmhouse to the far north and a linear building between the house and original office.  Since the mid 20th Century, the site has been further expanded with a larger scale agricultural building constructed to the southwest.  The site was visited in January 1997. The house was described as late 19th or early 20th Century in date, with a group of low rubble farm buildings (one in particular described as "a little longer and quite nice"). Various additions were also noted around the site. 
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Parcels 270, 273.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 131.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7132 4815 (80m by 115m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 131
Record last edited
Dec 15 2014 4:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.