MEM23165 - Manor Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
West Lyn Manor Farm, with East Lyn, was "Lina" in Domesday. Both were included in the Manor of Lynton (Lintona), held by William Capra. Before the conquest, it was held by Algar.  (SS 72374812) Manor Farm on site of Manor House (NR).  The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth shows two ranges of buildings constructed parallel to each other, in line with the road. The rear range to the north stretched between c. SS 7237 4812 and SS 7240 4812 and the front (southern) range between c. SS 7237 4811 and SS 7240 4810. Two further smaller buildings are depicted at SS 7241 4809 and SS 7234 4811.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed, the southern front range of buildings had been mostly demolished, although the western end seems to have been retained or rebuilt to form a structure at right angles to the road. The northern range had been extended to the west, apparently to its current form. A new range of structures had also been constructed to the west of the demolished front range, at SS 7234 4812 and this mostly seems to be extant in a similar plan form (if partially extended). It is not clear whether this new range incorporated the previously existing building mentioned at SS 7234 4811 or if this was demolished to accommodate the new buildings. The other outbuilding at SS 7241 4809 had, however, been demolished. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. [4-6] The site was visited in January 1997. No comments were made about the buildings associated with the farmhouse (now Beggars Roost, MDE1235). 
- <1> SDE59335 Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928-1938. Hundreds of Devon: The Hundred of Shirwell in Early Times. 466, 486, 492.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <7> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 130.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7237 4812 (90m by 70m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 130
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE1235
Record last edited
Dec 15 2014 3:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.