MEM23162 - Metticombe Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Lynton and Lynton Tithe Map shows an L shaped building sited at c. SS 7198 4770 and an outbuilding at c. SS 7200 4769, both situated within a small enclosure labelled 1126a, and a further building across the road at c. SS 7201 4772, within plot 1139. The site is labelled "Beggers' Roost". 1126a was part of the lands under "Mettacombe" and is described as a house and garden, whilst parcel 1139 is listed under "Part of West Ilkerton" and was described as a house and garden near common, owned by the Reverend Thomas Roe and occupied by Mary Litson.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the L shaped building had been reduced in size to form two small structures but its accompanying outbuilding had been removed. The building across the road was apparently still extant, with an Ordnance Survey bench mark on its southern elevation. By the time the 2nd Edition map had been surveyed, however, the eastern of the two buildings on the southern side of the road had been removed and the western one had been extended to the south. A new house had been constructed on the site, which is still extant at SS 7200 4770. The northern building had been reduced in size and since the 2nd Edition map was published, this building appears to have been removed. [2-4] The site was visited in January 2014. The main house was described as 19th Century in date and constructed of rubble stone, with remains of a rubble building adjacent to it. A 20th Century shed was also noted in the vicinity. 
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Parcels 1126, 1139.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 127.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7200 4770 (45m by 44m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 127
Record last edited
Dec 12 2014 4:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.