MEM23159 - Higher Combe Park Farm or Lower Combe Park Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is not shown on the Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth. The site is mainly spread over three fields, including a small field with a pond (1324), labelled "pond piece"and in use as pasture, as well as "Higher Spring field" (1318, pasture) and "Spring Meadow" (1325, meadow). The fields were owned and occupied by the Reverend John James Scott.  The farmstead is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map in a similar form to its present layout and is named 'Higher Combepark'. This includes a series of farm buildings and farmhouse framing the sides of a yard. The farmhouse is on the northern side and a barn (with a possible horse engine house to the rear) is to the east. [2-4] Vertical aerial photographs taken in 2013 show the barn to the east has partially collapsed in its centre.  The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was described as very plain, fronting the yard over a narrow garden, and 19th Century in date. The yard is square with narrow entrances, with one big high bank barn of rubble stone having steps to its upper floor level, and slate roofs. The rest of the buildings are described as simple but nice. The buildings were all unused at the time.  Named 'Lower Combe Park Farm' on Ordnance Survey MasterMap data 2020. 
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Parcels 1318, 1324, 1325.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 123.
- <7> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7335 4749 (67m by 54m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 123
Record last edited
Jul 27 2020 2:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.