MEM23151 - Old Scoresdown Farm, Brendon (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Brendon Tithe Map shows the site as a clear plot.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the site as a house with associated outbuildings, the main one of which is situated by the road to the northwest of the house at SS 7324 4699. The site is named Scoresdown at this point. This is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the outhouse mentioned above has been removed and a further range of buildings constructed to the west of the farmhouse. It is now named Old Scoresdown, with the modern Scoresdown Farm further down the lane to the southeast.  The site was visited in January 1997. The house was described as 19th Century and built of rubble stone. It was described as no longer a farmstead, with one rubble building remaining converted to a garage and a small new stables. 
- <1> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 115.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7323 4698 (59m by 49m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 115
Record last edited
Apr 26 2020 8:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.