MEM23150 - Farley Water Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Brendon Tithe Map and labelled 'Farley'. At this stage, it comprised what appears to be a linear farmhouse (coloured pink) at c. SS 7440 4628, and several farm buildings (coloured grey), including two abutting parallel ranges at SS 7439 4632 and SS 7440 4632 running northeast to southwest, described as farm buildings with a yard on the accompanying apportionment document. However, the plot in which the 'farmhouse' is depicted is only labelled as garden and has no name provided. A further three buildings were sited at SS 7442 4630, SS 7437 4629 and SS 7444 4629; the latter is described as a house in the apportionment.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was published, the farmhouse shown on the Tithe Map had been demolished. To replace it, the southeastern of the two parallel ranges had been demolished and the building at SS 7439 4632 appears to have then been used as the farmhouse. A new range was built to curve around the southern end of a new farmyard, which may incorporate the building on the Tithe Map at SS 7442 4630; alternatively, the latter may have been demolished to accommodate the new range. One of the two other buildings mentioned above on the Tithe Map, at SS 7437 4629 had also been demolished but the building at SS 7444 4629 may still be extant. Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the farmstead has been subject to small scale alterations and additional buildings constructed to the east and south. [2-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was described as a largeish medieval three room planned building with an 18th or first half of 19th Century facelift and lifting up. It faces over a garden onto a largeish informal concreted yard, with an early 19th Century hipped roof barn post dating a low range of early (possibly 17th Century) buildings with tin roofs. Other buildings make a loose enclosure on the southeast side.  Given the information provided in , it is possible that the house shown on the Tithe Map at SS 7440 4628 (if it is not a mistake in the first instance) replaced the earlier domestic building, which had another farm building constructed across its face. This buildings would have then removed to show the original frontage. Further investigation is needed to confirm this hypothesis. 
- <1> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 5 December 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7440 4630 (118m by 74m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 114
Record last edited
Dec 8 2014 10:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.