MEM23149 - Higher Tippacott Farm, Brendon (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Brendon Tithe Map shows this site occupied by two domestic buildings fronting the road at SS 7673 4698 and SS 7674 4698, each with a small attached outbuilding and with two small outbuildings in close proximity, at SS 7671 4701 and SS 7675 4701.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been published, the domestic building at SS 7674 4698 had been greatly reduced in size to form a very small building, or demolished completely and a new small building constructed. The other domestic building and the outbuilding at SS 7671 4701 were still apparently extant, although the other outbuilding had been demolished.  The 2nd Edition map shows a similar arrangement to the 1st Edition map, save that the reduced building at SS 7674 4698 has again been extended to the south.  All of the buildings shown on the 2nd Edition map still appear to be extant, with some small alterations and additions. Further agricultural buildings have since been constructed to the south of the site.  The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was described as 19th Century but with recent surface treatment. A couple of altered 19th Century farm buildings were also noted, with some ad hoc additions.  A turf house was present at the end of the farmhouse, next to the kitchen. 
- <1> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report. 25.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7673 4699 (64m by 88m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 112
Record last edited
Jan 12 2021 3:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.