MEM23148 - Lower Tippacott Farm (Building)

Summary

The farmstead is shown on historic mapping and was previously named Tibbicott. The original farmhouse was sited in the area now occupied by the present Tippacott Bungalow.

Please read the .

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Brendon and labelled 'Tibbicott'. At this time, the group comprised a farmhouse at the north end of a continuous range of farm buildings, beginning at c. SS 7663 4712 and ending at SS 7664 4708. While most of the farm buildings still appear to be extant, the farmhouse was demolished after the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was published. This appears to have been replaced by a new house built at SS 7661 4713, which is shown on the 2nd Edition map. Some time after this latter document was published, a bungalow was built to occupy the site of the former farmhouse and this is labelled Tippacott Bungalow on modern Ordnance Survey mapping. Two further buildings are shown on the Tithe Map, at SS 7667 4710 and SS 7662 4711; the first had been demolished by the time the 1st Edition map was surveyed but the latter may still be extant, although heavily modified and / or extended. A further (very small) building may have been demolished and rebuilt or heavily extended to form a large barn depicted on the 1st Edition map at SS 7665 4708, which is also still extant. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The extant farmhouse was described as a sizeable, high, Victorian house, very perfect and separated from the other buildings and with two fine fastigiate Yew trees beside it. Tippacott Bungalow was described as being from the inter war period and may now also serve as a farmhouse. A large stone rubble barn of 19th Century date was said to have have a tall gable downhill, with lower buildings of a similar date at a right angle to it. A 20th Century stable was also mentioned, as was some big 20th Century farm buildings above the farmstead. [5]

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
  • <5> Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 111.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SS 7662 4710 (109m by 85m) (Historic mapping)
Map sheet SS74NE
Civil Parish BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Other Statuses/References

  • Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 111

Record last edited

Dec 5 2014 3:46PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.