MEM23140 - Coombe (or Combe) Farm, Countisbury (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Countisbury Tithe Map and labelled 'Combe'. It comprises the farmhouse (MDE21331) and three farm buildings, which together form a yard space to the west of the farmhouse.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was drawn, one of the farm buildings (which formed the southwestern corner of the yard) had been demolished and an L shaped range constructed that ran up to the southwestern corner of the farmhouse. A pump is also shown within the yard. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map and appears to still be mostly extant, with some small alterations since this map was published. Both the 1st and 2nd Edition maps and modern MasterMap data labels the farmstead as 'Coombe' Farm. [2-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. A modest yard of 19th Century stone rubble buildings was noted to be separated from the front of the farmhouse by the front garden. A larger barn is on the uphill side, with 20th Century buildings beyond it (to the northeast).  South West Archaeology Ltd. was commissioned to undertake building recording on two barns at Coombe Farm, Brendon and Countisbury, Exmoor, Devon. This work was undertaken in advance of the proposed conversion and development of the barns to set the buildings in their historical and archaeological context. The mid to late 19th century remodelling and expansion this farmstead received is probably connected to its purchase by the Halliday family to form part of the Glenthorne estate, the major changes happening between the 1841 Tithe Map and 1880s 1st Edition OS Map. The core of the farmhouse is of 17th century date, and the proposal site once formed part of the former house. The barns which abut the farmhouse certainly predate this Glenthorne estate phase; however the significant works they received at that time have obscured their possibly more interesting origin. It is clear that Barn 1, known as the 'turf house' was considered part of the farmhouse range in the 1840s and with the reuse of the 17th century beams bracing the loft it could certainly be used to store an immense weight. Barn 2's modern concrete overhaul forming cattle pens has obscured any details which indicate even its 19th century use, but again its relationship to Barn 1 is such that we can suggest it too has an earlier (17th century) origin. Both buildings would appear to have had an outbuilding or service function to the main house, with their agricultural functions being a secondary phase. Both barns were largely re-built in the 19th century, and significantly altered in the 20th century. 
- <1> SEM8072 Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 104.
- <6> SEM8586 Report: Wapshott, E. and Balmond, F.. 2017. Coombe Farm Barns, Brendon and Countisbury, Exmoor, Devon: Historic building recording.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7657 4888 (49m by 52m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 104
Record last edited
Aug 28 2018 1:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.