MEM23137 - Ashton Farm, Countisbury (Building)


The farmstead is shown on historic mapping. In the 1840s it comprised a farmhouse, yard, barn, linhay and two gardens and plantations.

Please read the .

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The farmstead is shown on the Countisbury Tithe Map and labelled Ashton. At this point, it comprised three linear buildings, all aligned northeast to southwest. The northernmost (and largest) building at c. SS 7859 4867 was coloured pink and was presumably in domestic use, and with another building at SS 7860 4866 to the southeast was labelled 264. A further building at SS 7857 4865 was labelled 265. Around the site were the following enclosures or land parcels: 263 (SS78614869), 266 (SS 7857 4860), 267 (SS 7855 4861), 268 (SS 7853 4863), and 269 (SS 7852 4862). The accompanying Apportionment describes all of these as owned and occupied by John Palfreman, with the following individual descriptions: 263: Garden (Garden), 264: Farm House and Yard (House etc.), 265: The Barn and Linhay (Barn etc.), 266:Plantation (Plantation), 267: The Green (Pasture), 268: Plantation (Plantation), 269: Garden (Garden). [1] All three buildings mentioned above appear on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps but the house and building to its southeast seem to have been heavily reduced in size, losing their northeasternmost ends and apparently forming the buildings now situated at SS 7859 4867 (house) and SS 7860 4866. This seems to have taken place when a new farmhouse was constructed to the south at SS 7858 4863 and the old house was presumably remodelled for agricultural use. The other building was located at c. SS 7857 4865 and appeared little altered at this time. A further new farm building is shown on the 1st Edition map and a second one on the 2nd Edition map; only the second of these is still extant, as the first and the building at SS 7857 4865 have since been demolished. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. It was noted by the surveyor that the site had previously been known as Ashton Cleave. The house was seen from the back and thought to be possibly 19th Century in date, with 20th Century alterations and additions. A separated yard of late 19th Century buildings were noted to have been built of rubble stone, featuring a two storey stable with brick dressings [?old farmhouse] and lower buildings adjoining it. The site also featured large 20th Century sheds nearby. The farmstead was thought to be ancient. [5]

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 263-9.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
  • <5> Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 99.



Grid reference Centred SS 7856 4863 (123m by 148m) (Historic mapping)
Map sheet SS74NE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Other Statuses/References

  • Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 99

Record last edited

Jan 12 2021 3:27PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.