MEM23132 - Parsonage Farm, Brendon (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Oare Tithe Map as a farmhouse with an L shaped farm building to its south, with what appears to be a small outbuilding to the east of the farmhouse. Both of the main buildings still appear to be extant. These were joined by two further outbuildings to the east of the L shaped building by the time the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the northermost of which appears to be the building at SS 7946 4781. The southern of these has since been replaced by a much larger building. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was noted to have been altered in the 20th Century but a large chimney suggested an older house beneath. Few older farm buildings were noted but all were thought to be neat. 
- <1> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 95.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7946 4783 (69m by 78m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3/4): 95
Record last edited
Jan 12 2021 3:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.