MEM23131 - Southernwood Farm, Brendon (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Brendon and labelled Southernwood. At this time, it consisted of a farmhouse, which formed the southern part of a boundary between two small enclosures. The northern end of the boundary was formed by a small outbuilding, which had been demolished by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. The farmhouse, however, is still extant at SS 7866 4820. While the 1st Edition map shows the farmhouse on its own, by the time the 2nd Edition map was published it had been joined by three other buildings, two of which may still be partially extant at SS 7867 4820 and SS 7870 4822. Since this time, a further building has been added to the south of the farmhouse. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in Janaury 1997. It was thought that the site was no longer functioning as a farm. 
- <1> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 93.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7867 4820 (82m by 73m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 93
Record last edited
Jun 9 2021 12:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.