MEM23130 - Cloud Farm, Oare (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Oare shows a single building at this site, which may or may not still be extant as the building situated at SS 7940 4669. The latter is definitely shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, where it has been joined by a range of buildings sited between SS 7943 4671 and SS 7942 4668. These include the farmhouse to the north. Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the farmstead has been extended to the northeast, east and south. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was thought to be late 19th Century in date but the only other building that was mentioned was a large 20th Century tin shed. 
- <1> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 92.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7941 4670 (63m by 48m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3/4): 92
Record last edited
Jan 12 2021 3:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.