MEM23129 - Rawcombe Farm, Oare (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Oare Tithe Map as a farmhouse (west) and associated outbuilding (east) in close proximity to each other. The farmhouse still appears to be extant but the adjacent building seems to have been demolished and replaced after the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was drawn, as the present building to the southeast of the farmhouse (at SS 8083 4675) does not appear to be in quite the same position. The 2nd Edition map also shows two further outbuildings constructed to the group's south, at SS 8081 4674 and SS 8083 4674; these are not shown on the 1st Edition map and have since been replaced by larger, more modern buildings to the south. [1-4] The farmstead was viewed from a distance in January 1997. The house was believed to date to the 19th Century but could contain earlier elements. The associated farm buildings were all said to date to the 20th Century. 
- <1> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 91.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8083 4674 (66m by 94m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 91
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 11:46AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.