MEM23128 - Oareford Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Oare Tithe Map and labelled Oare Ford. At this point, it comprised the farmhouse (MSO10674) and a linear farm building to the east, which is still apparently extant and had been extended to the east by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. Two other small outbuildings are also depicted on the Tithe Map but have since been demolished and a further structre was built to the south of the L shaped range after the 2nd Edition map was published. The present site boundaries appear to mostly reflect the enclosures shown on this map. [1-4] The site was visited in January 1997. The farm buildings were noted to be discrete from the house and included a large 19th Century barn. A further rubble range was noted to diminish towards the house. 
- <1> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 90.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8124 4640 (137m by 65m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 90
Record last edited
Nov 27 2014 1:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.