MEM23127 - Kemps Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Oare Tithe Map and labelled Kemps. There is a single building depicted, which appears to be the modern farmhouse. However, by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was published, the farmhouse had been surrounded by a number of outbuildings and extended to the south. This arrangement is similarly shown on the 2nd Edition map but since this was published, nearly all of the outbuildings appear to have been removed, as has the extension to the farmhouse. There is one buildings situated at SS 8045 4702 that may represent one of the buildings shown on the 1st Edition map. [1-4] The farmstead was viewed from a distance in January 1997. The house was thought to date to the 18th Century and it was noted that one farm building present had been converted. 
- <1> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 87.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8043 4699 (109m by 54m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 87
Record last edited
Nov 27 2014 10:18AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.