MEM23122 - Mannacott Farm, Martinhoe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmstead is shown on the Martinhoe Tithe Map as Lower Mannacott. Within the site, four buildings are depicted. The farmhouse is at SS 6619 4808 and has been extended over time, particularly to the rear after the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. A building to its north, at c. SS 6619 4810 was demolished before the 1st Edition map was drawn and the third structure at SS 6621 4810 had also been reduced in size by this time. The last building, a large L shaped strucure at SS66214811, is still mostly extant, although the corner joining the two sections of the structure had again been removed before the 1st Edition map was surveyed. Newly present on the 1st Edition map were a long range at SS 6619 4812 and two small outbuildings at SS 6618 4810 and SS 6621 4808, all of which still appear to be extant. However, the 2nd Edition map also shows a small building at SS 6619 4812 and a much larger, linear structure at SS 6620 4813; the latter has since been demolished. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. The house was described as early but much Edwardianised situated away from and with its back to the yard. It accompanies a "beautiful group of farm buildings", thought to date from the 18th or 19th Century, built of stone rubble with slate and clay tile roofs. This included a large and stately 19th Century barn range and a cider house and complete range of buildings. The yard plan was said to be constrained by the site. 
- <1> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 79.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6620 4811 (53m by 85m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 79
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 3:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.