MEM23117 - East Bredwick (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Kentisbury Tithe Map shows the site as open fields.  The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps show the farmstead labelled East Breadwick and the buildings are very similarly depicted as a group of four buildings, with the farmhouse and an L shaped building forming a farmyard and the other two buildings northwest of the farmhouse and L shaped building respectively. A pump is depicted in the farmyard. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the farmstead has had few, modest additions to the site.  The farmstead was visited in December 1996. The house was suggested to be 19th Century, end on and slightly below the yard. The yard's entrance is through a range of 19th Century farm building forming an L, which is rubble built. 
- <1> SEM7937 Map: 1840. Kentisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 73.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6424 4308 (56m by 71m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/3): 73
Record last edited
Apr 12 2021 10:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.