MEM23113 - South Swincombe Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown as a group of buildings, of which there are six by the time the 1st Edition Ordnanace Survey map is drawn. The farmhouse is situated in the centre of this group. By the time the 2nd Edition may was surveyed, one of the buildings (at c. SS 6922 4150) had been demolished and others had had small additions and alterations. Both the 1st and 2nd Edition maps label the group as South Swincombe. [1-3] Since this time, the farmstead has been greatly enlarged to the south, with another addition to one historic building in the north at SS 6918 4151. The northern part of the site is now labelled as South Swincombe Farm and South Swincombe Cottage, with the south labelled South Swincombe. One of the buildings in the southern portion is labelled Swincombe Mill but it is not clear whether this is the mill mentioned in MDE21577.  The farmstead was visited in December 1996 and was apparently considered as one unit, described as "obviously an ancient farm". The barn was noted to be built of stone rubble and was suggested to be 18th Century in date. Another barn conversion was noted at the site. 
- <1> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 69.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6918 4147 (109m by 84m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 69
Record last edited
May 22 2019 10:07AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.