MEM23112 - Town Farm, Challacombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map shows the farmstead within two plots of land, 758 and 759, listed as house and garden and house and court, belonging to and occupied by Humphrey Ridd. These are depicted as two small enclosures with a building sited at c. SS 6916 4069 and a possible second building at SS 6917 4071. The 1st Edition map only shows the first of these houses but by the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, several small outbuildings had been constructed around the site. Both of these latter maps label the site Town Farm. Most of these are still extant and further buildings have been constructed since this date to enlarge the farmstead. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. The farmhouse was said to be modest and thought to date to the 19th Century but possibly incorporated earlier fabric. The accompanying yard was described as domestic, unrestored and charming. Above and separate to the site was noted a small rubble barn with innocent 20th Century additions. 
- <1> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 68.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6915 4069 (60m by 59m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 68
Record last edited
Aug 14 2017 2:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.