MEM23108 - Muxworthy, Brayford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is depicted on the High Bray Tithe Map. According to the apportionment document, the buildings were owned by Mrs Mules and occupied by Samuel Lovering. They consisted of a house on the northern side of a farmyard (at SS 7078 3771), with the eastern side framed by an agricultural building at SS 7080 3771 and another linear building sited to the southwest of the yard at SS 7077 3769.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows these buildings in a similar layout to the Tithe Map but with an extension to the west of the farmhouse and a few small additions to the eastern farm building. A well is also recorded in the yard area. However, by the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the linear building at SS 7080 3771 had been demolished, with a group of structures now depicted closing the southern end of the yard at SS 7079 3769. A new farmhouse had also been constructed away from the yard at SS 7081 3768, with an outbuilding to its rear at SS 7083 3768. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the farmstead has been extended to the north and west by the construction of much larger scale agricultural buildings.  The farmstead was visited in December 1996 and was considered with the farm buildings to the south, as a group. The later farmhouse was noted to be in the form of a late 19th Century brick building and the west and south sides of the yard was apparently composed of late 19th Century buildings (stone with brick dressings, with the old farmhouse described as a partly rebuilt small barn range of the early 19th Century. Additional features noted included 20th Century additions and a shed. 
- <1>XY SEM8103 Map: Northcote, G.. 1838. High Bray Tithe Map and Apportionment. [Mapped feature: #42032 ]
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 64.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7078 3769 (106m by 98m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 64
Record last edited
Sep 8 2020 9:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.