MEM23107 - Whitefield Lodge, Whitefield (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the High Bray Tithe Map as an L shaped building (now Whitefield Lodge) and an associated linear building with a small addition on the centre of its western elevation. A further small outbuilding was situated at c. SS 7038 3587. This layout is repeated on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, although the main L shaped building had been the subject of small scale alterations and extensions. Since this latter map was surveyed, this building has been largely extended on its southwestern section (to the southeast) and on its northeastern end (to the northwest). The small addition to the linear building appears to have been removed and the small outbuilding has been demolished. [1-4] The site was visited in December 1996. The main house was noted to have been altered but looked 17th Century or earlier in date. It is built of stone rubble with cement render and a back extension to form another house. The farmyard was in the form of two approximately parallel ranges running out from the house to the open end of the yard with the view. The easternmost barn included cob partition walling and blocked openings, and the other (adjoining the house?) had a water wheel on its southern gable end fed by a leat from the east. The launder used to form the opposite side of the yard from the house. A group of 20th Century buildings are to the north of the farmyard.  N.B. Please note that the mapping shown on the GIS does not include the route of the leat supplying the launder for the water wheel. 
- <1> SEM8103 Map: Northcote, G.. 1838. High Bray Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #42031 ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 63.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 19 November 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7038 3589 (60m by 41m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/3): 63
Record last edited
Sep 8 2020 9:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.